Cast iron is a great and robust choice for guttering, but like all different guttering materials it has its pros and cons. It is important to understand the in and outs of different guttering materials before making your choice. So, AJ Scutching and Sons will explore some of the advantages and disadvantages surrounding cast iron guttering.
Advantages of cast iron guttering
- Long-lasting: Because cast iron guttering is sturdy, it is an excellent choice for gutters. Insofar as the guttering is correctly set up, it should last for many years.
- An environmentally friendly option: Because cast iron has minimal effect on the environment, you can be confident that you’re making an environmentally aware option when you choose this type of guttering. You can also recycle them when you replace them.
- Weather-resistant: Because cast iron gutters are so durable, you don’t have to worry about them being destroyed during a storm. There will be no issues as long as they are properly fitted.
- Low upkeep: As long as you make sure that you clean the gutters on a regular basis, just like you would with any other sort of guttering material. It’s also a good idea to keep an eye out for rust.
Longer term savings: Because cast iron guttering is inexpensive to maintain, it is capable of saving you a lot of money in the long run. It’s also a good choice for structures in conservation areas since, unlike uPVC, it mixes in nicely with period properties.
- Cast iron gutters are favoured by people who anticipate their property to continue to reside in the family or in business for a long time, or who have to remain loyal to the period or style in which it was built. This can be true for listed buildings or commercial premises that will be used by a company or other entity for the foreseeable future.
Disadvantages of cast iron guttering
- One of the only disadvantages of cast iron guttering is its weight. This makes it tough to transport and install, so it’s best to leave it to a specialist like us.
- Weathering can cause corrosion and microscopic cracks in cast iron. The advantage of cast iron is that it will take quite a while to reach that stage, and repairs can be simply made with only a slight maintenance service.
To find out more about us and how we might be able to help you, or you would like some more information on cast iron guttering, we’d advise you to get in touch with us. That way, we can talk specifics with your specific requirements in mind. Call us on 07778 188 952, or fill out one of our online contact forms today!